Yay. I was expecting this a long time ago.
It also appears to be integrated with Windows Live Spaces, which makes complete sense. That’s what was on one of my Live Spaces features wishlist. For a Group-like thing on there. I mean, what kind of "social network" doesn’t have a place for mini-communities?
Wikipedia had some info. about some possible template systems made in Windows Live Groups:
- Share Group – allow group members to add or view each other’s photos and videos
- Discussion Group – allow group members to discuss a common topic and learn from each other
- Keep In Touch Group – allow users to stay connected with their families, friends and collegues using Windows Live Spaces
- Coordinate Group – allow users to keep people around them organized
- Generic Group – multipurpose group that allow users to do any of the above functions
So maybe it’s going to be good. Anyhow, MSN Groups is awful compared to Google, Y!, and Facebook groups, so I would love to see exactly what Windows Live has in store for it’s competition.
The release of Windows Live Groups should be in November 07′ along with the release of Windows Live Events. And hopefully Windows Live Calendar.