So the Zune 2.5 update came around of Monday, 5/5/08. This update contains many of the features that users have been asking for (that got removed in the new software), and now we finally have it.
So what’s new? Well there’s:
- gapless playback
- improved syncing controls (syncing groups)
- metadata editing
- auto playlists
- better Zune Pass – more marketing (ad), and instant playback of songs (not just 30 sec. preview) of a friend’s Zune Card song
- TV shows – Episodes from NBC, MTV, MTV2, Nickelodeon, Sci Fi Channel, VH1, Ultimate Fighting, Comedy Central, Anime, [Adult Swim] – only a few series from each network. Anime has the most with 11 different TV series. Hopefully more will get added. About $2.00 each (
- Browse by genre (music an video) or by series (video)
- Flagging for purchase – If you receive a song from another Zune user, you can flag this song if you wish to purchase from Zune Marketplace, and you’ll be asked to confirm this when the Zune syncs. If you have a Zune Pass, you can just add it to your collection in one click.
- Live Messenger integration – The "Show what I’m listening to" status for Windows Live Messenger now works with Zune as well. Something that a few Zune users have been wanting. (though I still prefer playing on WMP 11).
- Zune Card for Facebook and MySpace – It’s much easier to get a card working for Facebook, MySpace, and even Live Spaces. Or any site with an HTML widget/sandbox.
- Build a reputation within the Zune Social – With this release, you can earn achievement badges in Zune Social that are displayed on your Zune Card. Similar to Xbox LIVE, these are graphical icons on your Zune Card that represent milestones like being the top listener of an artist, passing a specific number of total plays, helping other users in the Zune forums and more.
- New "My Social" Page – The page shows what your social is like, from what you’re doing to what your friends are doing. Lists show up as well as you can hover over albums of friends’ cards to take a quick look.
- Album reviews and fan comments – You can write an album or artist review directly on the artist’s page.
- Built-in friends – New members joining Zune Social now get out-of-the-box Friends to help them get started. These are music editors from the Zune team will now automatically be part of your initial friends list when you join the Social.
- Finding friends – It’s become easier to find people in the Social Zune Social members have new options to add information like name, location and biography, to their profile page. This makes it easier for others to find someone and add them as a friend in the Social or to identify someone asking to be added to your list.
- Multi-device syncing – Now that many of us have multiple Zune players in the household, this version lets you sync more than once Zune at a time. Also new in this release, you can drag-and-drop content to a Zune player that is not yet connected – and that content will sync the next time the player is connected to the PC.
Great new update, huh? What else do you think the Zune could use?
Here are some good sites that I thought you should read if you’re interested:
WinSupersite – http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/zune25.asp
I HAVE A ZUNE – http://www.ihaveazune.com/?p=1212
I HAVE A ZUNE (badges) – http://www.ihaveazune.com/?p=1226
Also, in other Zune news :
Zune’s are coming to Canada on June 13th. – http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/business/story.html?id=942f31a9-4a99-4155-a9da-18413a22d7d1&k=95737
Zune by now has sold 2 million units – http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/05/09/microsoft-surpasses-2-million-zunes-sold-apple-sells-2-65-million-ipods-month